Corn(fresh or frozen) – 1 cup
Channa Dal – 1 cup
Onion – 1/2 (chopped)
Ginger – 1″ piece (grated)
Red/Green chillies – 4-6 (chopped)
Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
Asaefoetida – a pinch
Curry Leaves – 1 spring (finely chopped)
Salt – to taste
1. Soak the channa dal for atleast an hour. Drain and coarsely grind it .
2. To this add the corn, onion, red chillies, ginger, cumin seeds, turmeric, curry leaves, asaefoetida and salt.
3.Make balls out of the above mixture, shape them as vadas or cutlets.
4. Grease a baking tray and line the vadas. Sprinkle 1 or 2 drops of oil on top of each vada.
5. Bake it in an oven preheated to 350 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
6. Serve hot with mint chutney or eat as such.
– The same vadas can be made by deep frying too.
– Use a parchment paper in the baking tray to remove the vadas easily.
– You can make the vada mixture and refrigerate too. But it will absorb lot of oil. So try making the mixture only when needed.