Roasted potatoes rubbed in spices are sinful delights.
Add to that, the goodness of butter cunningly concealed in its slices and a tantalizing dollop of tzatziki sauce — you have a side dish that is hard to resist.
Hassleback Potatoes promises you just that.
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 potatoes, medium size
- 2 to 3 tbsp salted butter, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, mushrooms diced (optional)
- 1 cup shredded sharp mozzarella/cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped chives
- 2 tsp chopped green chillies
For the spice rub
Salt, pepper, few sticks of dried rosemary, some red chilli flakes, a little oregano and a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Using a sharp knife, make crosswise cuts in each potato, about 1/8-inch apart, stopping about 1/4 inch from the bottom.
- Add butter slices between the cuts.
- Give the potatoes a thorough rub with the spice mix.
- Transfer potatoes to a baking sheet.
- Place into oven and bake until the outsides are browned and crisp for about one hour.
- Top with cheese and bake until melted, an additional five minutes.
- Heat a pan over medium high heat.
- Add bacon and mushrooms (optional) and cook until brown and crispy, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve potatoes immediately, topped with the tzatziki sauce, bacon, mushrooms, chives and chillies!