Gorging on weekends what we all love doing. But have you ever wondered that you maybe ordering wrong. Restaurants more often than not can do damage to a healthy diet. So if you want to lose weight and are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle – order right.
Most dishes that ‘appear’ healthy on the menu, often come with hidden ingredients like butter and oils that can turn it into a calorie and fat intensive meal.
Follow this guide of foods to order:
1. Salads: Salads are very healthy, but they can also be very unhealthy. Follow these guidelines:
GO FOR: – Salads with fruit, veggies, beans and lean protein, such as grilled chicken or fish. – Dressings that are vinaigrette based. Always have the waiter or waitress bring the dressing on the side. When you get the dressing, use it moderately.
AVOID: – Salads containing cheese, sour cream, nuts, tortilla chips or strips, croutons, meats, fried chicken or fried fish. – Cream or mayo based dressings. (Example, Blue Cheese, Thousand Island, French)
2. Soups: Soups can be a healthy option, but often, they are filled with butter, oil and highly saturated creams or dairy (cheese).
Broth or stock based soups that contain fish or chicken, veggies and beans. (Example: Clam Chowder, Gazpacho, Minestrone, Chicken Noodle))
AVOID: Soups with cream, cheese or milk. (Example: New England Clam Chowder, Broccoli Cheese)
3. Appetizers: Appetizers are a great way of eating light. Go for two appetizers (such as a salad and a protein based appetizer) to keep your meal light. Avoid appetizers that are fried or greasy.
GO FOR: – Vegetable based appetizers (salads, grilled vegetables, veggie spring rolls) – Those with grilled, boiled or seared lean meats (Chicken skewers) – Fish appetizers that are cooked or sushi style (Shrimp Cocktail, tuna sushi roll)
AVOID: – Those that are fried (fried shrimp, chicken fingers, dumplings, etc.) – Those with cheese (artichoke/spinach dip, cheese fritters, etc.) – Those that come with chips
4. Side Dishes: Many side dishes are vegetable based, which is great for getting in fibre and needed nutrients.
Potatoes: GO FOR: Opt for whole boiled or baked potatoes or sweet potatoes.
AVOID: Stay away from mashed or fried potatoes.
Veggies: GO FOR: Opt for steamed or grilled veggies. Avoid grilled vegetables that are oily. AVOID: Those mixed with milk, cream or cheese (creamed spinach, broccoli and cheese) and suteed vegetables.
5. Entrees: Meats, Chicken and Fish: GO FOR: Grilled chicken or fish. Grilled meats are okay if they are very lean. AVOID: – Breaded fish or chicken – Stuffed meats – Avoid meats and fish that are fried – Fatty meats or fatty pork
Pastas: AVOID: – Those with tomato or broth based sauces (Example: marinara, puttanesca, olive oil and garlic) – Those with vegetables and grilled or lightly sauteed chicken or fish WORST: Those with cream, cheese or meat based sauces (Example: a la vodka, pesto, alfredo, bolognese)