The Labrador Retriever is one terrific family dog — given enough vigorous exercise (preferably including swimming and fetching games) and not just a walk around the block once a day. Too much confinement and not enough exercise can lead to rambunctiousness and destructive chewing.
One of the best dogs for children of all ages, Labrador Retrievers are kindly, good-natured, and take most things in stride.
Most Labrador Retrievers are very friendly with everyone, though compared to Golden Retrievers, many Labs are just a bit more conservative with their affections.
Also more independent — though quite biddable and responsive to obedience training, some Labrador Retrievers can have a noticeable stubborn streak. Some have necks like bulls and barely notice tugs on the leash.
You must control this breed’s tendency to chew on objects and to mouth your hands — provide a box filled with toys that he can carry around in his mouth…..
- Is large and bouncy, with an enthusiastic attitude toward life
- Has a short easy-care coat
- Has a cheerful, tail-wagging nature
- Thrives on exercise and athletic activities
- Is steady-tempered and dependable with everyone
- Is peaceful with other animals..